Magnetic Crafts to Celebrate Earth Day
On April 22, 1970, nearly 20 million Americans gathered together to demonstrate a need for a more sustainable environment. It led to the creation of the United States Environmental Protection Agency, the passage of the Clean Air and Clean Water Acts, and eventually the 1992 United Nations Earth Summit in Rio de Janeiro. To honor these achievements, Earth Day was born. Today, it’s the largest single day of observance in the world and celebrated by almost one billion people.
There are many ways to get involved and have fun while celebrating and preserving Mother Earth. Check out these easy and inexpensive crafts with magnets to get in the spirit for Earth Day.
Earth Day Planet Magnets
If you have ever seen a photo of planet Earth from outer space, it’s easy to separate the land masses from the oceans. These fun and easy-to-create magnets are the perfect way to celebrate our planet not only on Earth Day, but everyday!
What You Will Need
- Jar Lids (use baby food jar lids for smaller magnets or mason jar lids if you want to make them slightly bigger)
- Blue Craft Paint
- Green Craft Paint
- Paper Plate
- One thin paintbrush
- One thick paintbrush
- 12mm x 2mm Disc Magnets
- A world map or globe for guidance
- Wash and completely dry the jar lids so that they are clean before you start painting. The clean lids will help the paint adhere better and last longer.
- Squeeze the blue paint onto the paper plate and use the thicker paint brush to paint the flat surface on the inside of the lid as well as the inside and outside trim. Let dry.
- Squeeze the green paint onto the paper plate and refer to your world map or globe as you paint overtop of the blue paint to create the continents. Let dry
- Place a small dab of glue onto the magnet and press it to the top of the lid. Hold for a few seconds to ensure it adheres.
- Place on your refrigerator or other magnetic surface and enjoy!
Water Bottle Flower Magnets
As the classic saying goes, “April showers bring May flowers” and these adorable water bottle flower magnets will make it feel like spring and summer all year long! Get ready for the warmer weather with this creative craft that allows you to add your own personal twist.
What You Will Need
- Water bottle
- Fabric Paint in a variety of colors (fabric paint is slightly thicker than washable paint, making the colors last longer)
- Paper plate
- Paint brushes
- More 12mm x 2mm Disc Magnets
- Yellow pom-pom (about ½ in in diameter)
- Glue gun and glue sticks
- Use the scissors to cut off the end at the bottom of the water bottle. Clean the ends by washing thoroughly and then dry completely.
- Squeeze the paints onto the paper plate and paint the inside of the water bottle ends. Mix and match the colors to create your own unique style! Let dry completely.
- Turnt the painted bottle end around and use the glue gun to add a dab of glue onto the pom-pom and press it onto the middle of the “flower”, or the indentation on the bottle bottom. Hold for a few seconds to let the glue adhere and make sure it stays in place.
- Use the glue gun to add a dab of glue to the magnet and flip the bottle bottom around once again to the painted side. Press the magnet to the middle of the flower so that lines up with the pom-pom on the other side. Hold for a few seconds while the glue adheres.
- Repeat the process to create as many flowers for your bouquet as you would like, and add them to your refrigerator or any other magnetic surface. Enjoy!
Although Earth Day only comes once a year, it’s important to take care of planet every single day. These fun crafts will help you be creative and environmentally friendly! For more craft ideas for every day of the year, check out the rest of the Apex Magnets for Crafts blog!