DIY Magnetic Gingerbread House
It’s that time of year again, the temperatures are lowering and the sun is setting earlier and earlier by the day. Now that Thanksgiving is behind us, it’s time to get into the winter holiday spirit. One tradition you may have is making gingerbread houses with your family, and if you’re over the mess or too far away from your family, we have the perfect solution for you! Whether you’re old or young, this holiday season can bring you a new gingerbread house every day of the month December! Instead of making a traditional gingerbread house, create one that can be hung on your refrigerator:
- Assorted Wrapped Candy (optional)
-Colored Paper - Red, White, Green, Brown, etc.
- Using the brown paper, cut out your desired basic shape of the gingerbread house. Include the roof if you’d like it in brown, or cut out a white roof to resemble a snow covered day.
- Using your colored paper, cut out your favorite candy and shapes that you’d like included on the house. Some suggestions include candy canes, gumdrops, snowflakes and mints.
- On the corners of your designed shapes, house and cut out candy, glue a magnet to the back-side of your design.
- Apply the glue and glitter to desired areas upon your shapes to give the house a look of freshly coated snow.
- If you have chosen to use candy, ensure that it is properly sealed so that it will not open when in use. After ensuring it’s sealed, glue a magnet to the bottom of each candy.
- Wait for your designs and candy’s glue to dry, then arrange your house’s pieces and candy however you’d like on a magnetic surface such as your refrigerator!
Besides the mess, the great thing about a magnetic gingerbread houses is that it can be changed. If you have a large family, let each person design their own and take a photo of each to poll your friends on who had the best design! Don’t forget to post your photos in the comments below to show off your great design.