DIY Cactus Clay Magnets
The cactus trend is currently at an all-time high — patterns, clothes, you name it. We wanted to get in on the cacti action and create a magnetic DIY that you could proudly display with your ever-growing cactus collection. The best part about this craft? Besides the oven-bake clay, you most likely already have the rest of the needed supplies in your home!
What You’ll Need:
- White oven-bake clay
- Light green oven-bake clay
- Pink oven-bake clay
- Jade oven-bake clay
- Cactus-shaped cookie cutter (found at local craft stores, department stores or online) or pizza cutter
- Rolling pin
- ½” X ¼” Ceramic Disc Magnets
- Hot glue gun
- Baking tray
- Roll the jade and white clay out with the rolling pin into two flat rectangular shapes, about 1 cm thick. Feel free to switch up the clay colors as well — the selection of colors below is just a recommendation based on the popular colors paired with cactus prints and pictures.
- Join the jade and white clay together side-by-side and roll over again to smooth out.
- Use the cactus cookie cutter to press into the clay to make the cactus shape. Make sure the white clay is the bottom ⅛ of the cactus (to portray the pot the cactus is in), and the of the cookie cutter is on the green clay. Completely cut out the clay cactus.
- If you don’t have a cactus-shaped cookie cutter, you can lightly trace a cactus shape on the clay with a pencil, then use a pizza cutter to cut the shape out. Next, take the pink and light green clay and roll them out separately, to be 1 cm thick. Roll each color into thin snake shapes and use as the outline of the cacti or flowers on top of the cactus.
- Once you are done decorating your cacti, lay each cactus on a baking sheet and place in the oven on the top rack. Bake for 15 minutes at 130 degrees.
- After the cacti are done baking, let them cool completely and use the hot glue gun to glue magnets to the back of each clay cacti. Let the magnet dry and set overnight before sticking the cacti on the fridge.
Let us know if you’re cacti magnets are the stars of your fridge! Want to try out more crafts? Check out the rest of our magnetic DIY’s on our blog!