DIY Leprechaun Hat Magnets
Saint Patty’s Day will be here before you know it! The holiday first arose as a day to celebrate the patron saint of Ireland with a day of feasting. Now, there are even more ways to celebrate on March 17th. All around the globe, people celebrate not only St. Patrick, but the Irish culture in general, with festive parades, drinks, dances, music, and green everywhere. Here is one DIY project that you can do to celebrate, DIY Leprechaun Hat Magnets.
Being heavily prominent in Irish folklore, leprechauns have become one of the icons of St. Patty’s Day and Ireland. It is said that they first wore red, but after green became increasingly tied to Ireland, the color switched. However, for this DIY, the hats will be based on the current green we’ve come to know so well.
- Green felt or thick green paper
- Mod Podge
- Green glitter
- Black felt
- Ceramic magnets
- X-acto knife
- Using the X-acto knife, cut out multiple leprechaun hat shapes from the green felt or thick paper.
- Once you have cut out all your hat shapes, cut out strips of black paper to fit above the brim of you hat.
- Glue the black strips to the hats and wait to dry. If you want to go an extra step, you can add gold or yellow paper cut into the shape of a buckle to your hat.
- Once dry, coat the remaining green parts with a layer of Mod Podge and sprinkle green glitter onto it quickly before the paint dries. Use a newspaper or other piece of disposable paper under it to prevent glitter from sticking to other surfaces.
- Make sure that all of the green is coated in an even layer of glitter and wait for the piecest stick in place.
- When dry and all the glitter is stuck, turn the hats over and glue ceramic magnets to the back of the hats.
Now that you have added magnets to all your leprechaun hat shapes, you can hang them up on your fridge or pass them out to friends. Do you have your own St. Patty’s Day DIY project? Feel free to share it with us in the comments!