DIY: Magnetic Hammer Handle
Numerous DIY projects require the use of a hammer, but today’s idea actually includes making an improvement to the tool itself. By creating this magnetic hammer handle, you can keep nails with you rather than holding them in one hand and your hammer in the other. Take a look at how you can make this improvement and enjoy some added convenience.
SuppliesThe great thing about this craft is its simplicity. Just order your magnets from Apex and head to your garage or workshop to get started. You will need:
- Hammer with a wooden handle
- Disc magnet (3/4 x 1/16 or 3/4 x 1/8)
- A drill bit that is similar to the size of your magnet
- Super glue
StepsThis project can be completed in a matter of minutes, meaning you can put your magnetic hammer handle to the test in no time. Follow these steps:
- Lay your hammer down on a table.
- Select the correct bit for the size of the hole needed to allow you to recess the magnet in the handle. Create the hole in the base of the hammer handle making it deep enough for the magnet to be flush with the end.
- Clean the hole you have created to remove any dust or wood particles. Place glue in the space and insert your magnet. Be sure to remove any excess glue that may appear around the surface you can see. Apply pressure then, allow the adhesive to dry. If time permits, let it set overnight.
- Now you are ready to use your magnetic hammer handle. Just be aware that you now have nails or screws at the base of the handle. You will want to keep this in mind while working to avoid possible injury.
- Enjoy your new magnetic hammer handle!