DIY Magnetic Mockingjay Pin
The last movie of The Hunger Games franchise, Mockingjay: Part 2, premiered last week on November 20, 2015. But that doesn’t mean you have to stop fangirling over Katniss Everdeen, the main character played by Jennifer Lawrence. You can continue to channel this beloved character in your wardrobe everyday with this magnet tutorial. Here’s how to make your own magnetic mockingjay pin:
- Gold paint
- 2 Small neodymium disc magnets
- Drawing or tracing materials
- First, trace a circle for the border of the mockingjay pin on a piece of cardboard. You can use any round any object to trace the border. The size of the border will determine the size of your pin.
- Next, you can either print and trace or draw the mockingjay and the arrow onto the cardboard. Whether you draw or print the mockingjay and arrow image, make sure they’re proportional and will fit within your border.
- Once you have all the pieces of the mockingjay pin (the circle border, the bird, and the arrow), cut them out using scissors or an exacto knife.
- After you’ve cut out all three pieces, put them together and make sure they fit. If they don’t fit, you can redraw until you have the right measurements for each piece.
- Now, carefully glue the border, the bird, and the arrow together. You should glue the bird to the border first and then glue the arrow on last. If you can, place the arrow so it looks like the bird is holding it in its beak like the image above.
- Paint the whole ensemble gold.
- Add details like feathers and shading using a black pen or marker.
- Use superglue to attach one of the neodymium disc magnets to the back of your mockingjay.
Now you have a mockingjay pin of your own! All you need to do to wear your new pin is to hold your other disc magnet on the inside of your shirt or jacket and the pin on the outside of the cloth where it can be seen. The magnets will attract through the fabric and hold your mockingjay pin in place. How did your pin turn out? Share a picture with us on Facebook or Twitter!