DIY Magnetic Slime
With Halloween being right around the corner, spooky season is officially upon us. Need a new party trick to impress your friends or something simple to keep the kids busy? This homemade slime will spook everyone with its magnetic abilities.
What You’ll Need:
- Liquid starch
- Elmer’s glue (or any other “white school glue”)
- Iron oxide powder
- Bowls to mix with (disposable bowls are recommended so you won’t have to wash the slime out later)
- Craft glue sticks (or anything to mix with)
- Really strong magnets (any sizes or colors will work, they just have to be super strong!)
- Paper towels
- Disposable gloves (these are optional)
- Pour 1/4 cup of liquid starch into a bowl and add 2 tablespoons of iron powder. Stir until it’s all mixed together.
- Add 1/4 cup glue and mix everything some more. Keep mixing until the glue combines with the mixture. This might take a while, so be patient!
- Here’s where those disposable gloves will come in handy (unless stained hands are part of your costume, that is). Take the slime out of the bowl and squish with your hands to really mix everything up. There may be some liquid left in the bowl that isn’t part of the slime--just get everything as mixed up as possible.
- Pat the slime dry with a paper towel to get rid of any of this excess liquid. The finished slime won’t make your hands black, but any extra liquid will so be sure to really dry it off!
- Once the slime is “dry” it’s ready to use the magnets to pull slime in all directions.
That’s it! After mixing a few ingredients, you’ll have gooey, magnetic slime. If you give this a go, share your experience with us on our Facebook page and take a look at our magnets for crafts page for more DIY projects!
P.S. you can make slime bubbles by blowing air into them with a straw -- here’s your warning about the possible messes from that though.