DIY Magnetic Slime
If you lived through the 90’s and happened to watch the television station Nickelodeon, then there’s a good chance you have seen someone get “slimed.” A new person was getting slimed every day, whether they couldn’t Figure It Out or because it was Slime Time Live.
The original green slime is still around, but nowadays it usually only comes out for the Kid’s Choice Awards. The good news is that you can actually make your own slime! And to add to the undying fun of its unusual consistency, we’ve got a recipe that also makes it magnetic!
This is a great DIY magnet project for all ages, but it can get messy, so it’s recommended to have parent supervision. The slime’s weight will be heavy, so it’s recommended that you use a strong neodymium magnet.
- Liquid starch
- Iron oxide powder
- Elmer’s glue
- Measuring cups
- Mixing stick and bowl (better if disposable)
- Set of Neodymium Rare Earth Magnet
- Pour ¼ cup of the liquid starch into mixing bowl. Next add 2 tablespoons of the iron oxide powder and mix thoroughly.
- Add ¼ cup of the glue to the mix and continue stirring. At first it may not seem like it will become a slime, but eventually the liquid will become harder and harder to stir.
- Once the slime has become too hard to stir, use your hands to further mix the slime. There will be excess liquid at the bottom of the bowl after this step which is normal.
- Take the slime out of the bowl and pat dry with a paper towel to get rid of the excess liquid.
- Have fun and watch as the slime is magically attracted to your magnets!
The slime will have a black color from the iron oxide powder, which may cause slight staining of the hands, but rest assured that it is washable and will come out. If stained hands sound less than desirable, then you can wear rubber gloves while handling your slime. After the drying phase of the slime, the black residue will not transfer and stain skin. We recommend using disposable mixing bowls and sticks for this reason as well.
Let us know how your slime turns out in the comment section!