Painting with Magnets
Whether or not you consider yourself an artist, there are plenty of ways to create awesome abstract projects in your home. Painting can seem a little intimidating to those who aren’t familiar with the medium, but if you’re not a huge fan of simply splashing paint onto paper, it might be time to get a little creative!
Using magnets to paint may sound a little strange, but it’s an easy way to combine science and art to make a neat decoration for your home. So, get ready to channel your inner Jackson Pollock and create your next masterpiece!
- Keychain magnet
- Various metal items - ball bearings, springs, screws
- Various non-metal items - marbles, sticks
- Any type of plastic tray or box
- Tempera paint
- Empty egg carton
After you have all of your tools, here is how you can start painting:
- Pour your paint colors into the holes in the egg carton, using enough paint to drop your metal pieces into.
- Cut the paper to fit into your plastic tray or box of choice.
- Dip a metal piece into the color of paint you would like to begin painting with. Use a spoon to take it out and put it onto the paper inside your tray.
- Take your magnet and move it around under the tray to pull the metal pieces along the paper. The keychain will give you a handle to hold onto during the painting process.
- Add in non metal objects, like marbles to play with how the magnet and metal pieces react to other objects and make unique shapes.
- Have fun!
What other works of art could you make with magnets? Let us know what you would try in the comments!