DIY Paint Stick Fridge Magnet
We’re all familiar with paint stirrers (or paint sticks). Chances are you have a few of them tucked away somewhere. Maybe you’re in the middle of a renovation or you just haven’t thrown them out from years ago because you never know when you might need them again -- whatever the reason, you have these sticks laying around. We’re giving you a super simple DIY project to repurpose them and bring a little personality and flair to your home.
What You’ll Need:
- Paint sticks/stirrers
- 10mm x 1mm or 12mm x 2mm disc magnets
- Matte Mod Podge
- Maps, scrapbook paper, and/or wrapping paper
- Hot glue gun
- Small paintbrush
- Lay one paint stick on top of the paper/map and trace it around the stick. Then, measure ¼” to ½” around the outline and cut along this new outline.
- Cut out the four corners of the paper, then cut slits near the divot in the paint stick.
- Apply the Mod Podge to both sides of the stick with a paintbrush and lay the stick down on the paper.
- Wrap the paper around the stick -- starting with the divot and ends first -- and apply more Mod Podge to both the paper and the stick.
- Apply a top coat of Mod Podge and smooth out any air bubbles.
- Let the project dry.
- Flip the paint stick over and apply Mod Podge to the other side of the stick.
- Hot glue 2-3 disc magnets to the back of each stick.
- Wait for the glue to dry, then hang the sticks on your fridge or any other magnetic surface.
At Apex Magnets, we love reusing objects in our home and adding a magnetic spin to them. If you want more magnet crafts, check out this post on DIY map magnets or head to our magnets for crafts blog page.