How Far Will a Magnet “Jump”?
This week, we are continuing to look at magnetic science experiments that you can use at home or in the classroom. During this project, thanks to magnetism, a ferrous object will “jump” toward your magnet. You can explain what a magnetic field is and spark your child’s interest in science as they watch the objects zip toward the magnet. Let’s take a detailed look at how you can perform your research.
This project only requires a handful of supplies that you can likely find around the house. Buy the necessary magnets right here at Apex. Just visit our online store and place your order by 3 PM EST to enjoy same-day shipping.
You will need:
- Sharpies/markers (a few different colors if you would like but one color works too!)
- Masking tape
- Small magnetic/ferrous objects: paper clips, magnetic marbles, etc.
- Magnet (1/2" x 1/8" x 1/8" bar)
The setup for this experiment should only take a few minutes. You can even teach your children how to measure items with a ruler. Be sure to stay in the room with them once they have started the actual experiment.
Follow these steps:
- Measure and cut a foot-long piece of masking tape. Once done, place it on a tabletop or a hardwood floor.
- Lay down a ruler right next to your tape.
- Put your magnet on the tape where the ruler begins (once you are done setting up your project, hold onto the lower half of the magnet to make sure it doesn't move).
- Grab your first object and lay it down on the opposite end of the ruler. Slowly tap it towards your magnet.
- Once your item gets pulled towards the magnet, make a mark at the spot it “jumped” from using your Sharpie/marker.
- Repeat these steps until you have tested all of your objects. Look back at your marks and see which object “jumped” from the furthest distance. You can even assign certain colors to specific objects.
- Try stronger or weaker magnets and make note of any differences.
Keep Learning with Apex
No matter what grade your child is in, we have magnetic experiments that can be fun for the entire family. Just visit our blog page for more ideas. While there, you can also test your DIY skills with some of our latest projects. For advice, recommendations, and more, give us a call at 1-304-257-1193. We love hearing how you will be using our magnets!