DIY Magnetic Key Holder
Crafts aren’t just for the young—they’re also for the young at heart. And when we can find a way to combine creativity and functionality, we mark that as a win in our book! If you’re looking for your next DIY project for around the house, consider making a magnetic key holder. We know how frustrating it can be when you misplace your keys at home. Here’s a solution: make this key holder and hang it next to your door! This way, you’ll never forget your keys again.
What You’ll Need
- 2 Pieces of Pine Board (cut to the size you want your key holder to be)
- Wood Stain (in the color of your choice)
- Wood Glue
- Nail Gun and Nails
- 1/4” x 1/4” Cylinder - Neodymium Magnet
- Drill and 1/4” Drill Bit
- Get 2 pieces of pine board and have them cut to the size you’d like your key holder to be. One piece will be the back, while the other piece will be the base. When completed, the holder will look like an “L” from the side. The wider piece will be the base, but both pieces will be the same length.
- Apply the stain to both pieces of wood and let dry.
- Once dry, use wood glue to attach the base piece to the back piece. Then, use a nail gun for reinforcement.
- Drill four holes in the bottom of the shelf, making sure you don’t drill through all the way.
- Place adhesive on the back of the magnets and gently hammer the magnets into the holes, making sure the magnet is flush with the bottom of the wood.
- Let your key holder dry, hang it by the door, and stick your keys underneath! By putting the magnets underneath, you now also have a space for mail, wallets, or any last minute items on the shelf.
Now you have a place to safely store your keys without the risk of losing them! If you're prone to forgetting or losing your keys, you could also use our how-to to create a door knocker key hider! For more around the house, functional magnet craft ideas, check out our DIY blog.